October 8, 2012

Speculoos

While touring Belgium, my fascination surprisingly did not fall so quickly with chocolate, it was Speculoos that caught my attention. Everywhere we turned, Speculoos was there; ice cream (fabulous), muffins at the bakeries, Belgian waffles, even the truffles at the chocolate shops. I then had to look for Speculoos spread which I had heard of and couldn't wait to find on our European adventure. I just didn't know it's home would be Belgium and that it would have been waiting for me right there at the corner market.

Speculoos Spread
   Speculoos are a molded cookie, often of a windmill shape. Your interest may be peaked, but chances are, you've had them before. This fine little cookie is disguised on US Delta flights as Biscoff. A treat in Belgium year-round and currently as popular as ever. They are also a traditional cookie in Germany and the Netherlands, served only in December.

   It was a common treat to receive a packet of these cookies along side an espresso order (and an extra packet or two was kindly given to Lottie). I however had grander plans for them back at the hotel room. My prized jar of Speculoos spread was waiting there and what could be better than Speculoos topped with Speculoos. The spread is the consistency of peanut butter but has the exact same flavor profile built up from the spiced brown sugar base as it's mother cookie. And ohh my goodness, what a treat. A hot cup of apple cider would have topped things off perfectly.

   While walking the streets of Bruges, a lovely Belgium city that I will bring to you in a Road Trip feature very soon, I stumbled upon this perfect bakery that entirely stole my heart. A craft biscuit bakery named Juliette's Artisanale Koekenbakkerij. It was as welcoming as grandma's kitchen and as dreamy as being a child lost in the wonder of Christmas.

Juliette's Artisanale Koekenbakkerji
   What made my entire journey was this cookbook, Juliette's Speculoos. I cannot wait to begin a new tradition with Lottie of baking Speculoos for Christmas, or any other day where the deep snow and winter chill lures us in. Even though she will have been too young to remember our trip of just her and I, the day will always be vivid in my heart. And if this cookie tradition provides to her just a speck of holiday wonder, it will be one great cookie.  

Recipes from Bruges' most charming biscuit bakery.
   The cookies are shaped in these wooden molds. The below is the one that I picked out on our trip and someday Lottie can have it for her own kitchen. The book is full of so many elegant and timeless recipes, I think it will hold many Christmas memories for us.


   If you don't get to Bruges or even around to baking these crispy little gems, perhaps on that next Delta flight you can close your eyes and escape just for a little moment.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tradition that will be for sure! I love those molds!

    ReplyDelete