October 10, 2012

Pizza Delivery

Far less frequent than McDonald's and KFC, to my knowledge there are two Pizza Huts in Katowice. And you should have seen the line to dine at the Pizza Hut in the mall on Saturday night. They are currently running a special for 9,90 zloty you can order your choice of a small pizza, Greek salad, spaghetti or ham pizza rolls and a soda or tea (for happy hour at 7:00 you can get a beer instead for the same price). The currency difference means that your dinner will cost you about $3.00.

   The Pizza Huts here however do not deliver. And sometimes after living abroad for a month, you just want someone to bring pizza to your door. On our walks around the city, I kept spying pizza delivery bikes and I thought they were so cute. I don't have a picture of one, but as soon as I grab one I will add it to this post... A common little red motor bike with a square rack welded on the back, big enough to hold a darn big pizza, we were just plain curious.


   One evening we settled in and pulled up the website. We selected our pizzas and the site said they would be delivered in 45 minutes. Thirty minutes later, our doorbell rang. Ohh the joy! The box was composed of 75 percent less cardboard than the box we were used to, flimsy and lacking in r-value I was unsure of what to expect from the pizza inside. Well I don't know where they're cooking these babies, but it was fresh out of the oven hot! Fyi, Tabasco and pizza seems to be a classic pairing in these parts...

   I ordered the Texas pizza, firstly because I was curious about Poland's take on Texas and secondly because corn was a topping. Who puts corn on pizza? The pizza was spread with a barbecue sauce that was deep and smokey with only a hint of sweetness. Mainly flavors of chili powder and cumin, it was delightful. Then topped with chicken kebab, onion, cheese and corn. It was texalicious. The corn added little bits of sweetness and just plum made my day.


   When Troy saw that one of the pizzas translated to Pizza Hell, he didn't care what was on it. He wanted Pizza Hell. A delightfully hellacious ditty of hot sauce, red chilies, onion and heavenly (if I may) pieces of bacon, it was a nice meld of being just spicy enough to still taste the bacon but I imagine hell to be quite a bit hotter.

Pizza Hell
   And for a grand total of 46 zloty (about $15.00), it was a mighty fine way to spend a lazy evening.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! this is such an informative post. Thank you for sharing. Cheers!

    - The delivery irving, tx

    ReplyDelete