March 2, 2013

Pancake Saturday

Pancakes have been a weekend tradition for our little family, however the move to another country made a simple pantry recipe seem almost exotic.


   The two reasons why it took almost six months to get our family flapjacks in the skillet - baking powder and baking soda. After looking each time we were at the store, I finally located baking powder about a month ago and just the other day found soda. The reason I couldn't find them - the packaging is entirely different! The baking powder was the biggest surprise, it's in an envelope the same size as a packet of yeast in the states.

   Believing solely in from-scratch cooking, a tin of Clabber Girl would last about a month in my pantry. Here I'd have to take stock in the baking powder industry to gather enough of these little packets. Luckily, because of my lack of measuring devices and bowls, cakery will be a seldom treat.

   Just for the sake of sharing, the teeny tiny bottle in the photo is waniliowy (vanilla). Clear with a slight golden hue, it's a very potent oil and lends a bakery vanilla flavor. And my beloved maple syrup is imported from Vermont and Canada and is in the 40 zloty range (about 15 dollars) for very small jars. So, welcome to the table Golden Syrup from the UK. Next time I think I'll serve with honey and jam.


   Have a delightful weekend and the next time you are in the grocery baking aisle, think of me. My baking section  is smaller than an aisle end-cap!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing. Love the photos! So, just curious, what is a typical Polish breakfast consist of? Life without pancakes would be no life at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breakfast here is pretty simple; cereal, bread with cheese or ham. Not necessarily a meal that is eaten out. I was informed that the nearest place where breakfast is part of the culture is England! Several styles of pancakes (potato, savory, filled and sweet) are popular though, just not for breakfast ..

      Delete