January 30, 2013

I'm dying because of a pizza.

Partially true. But really just an inside joke about translating gone wrong.. At any rate, today I have spent the day wandering the streets of Bergamo, Italy. The buildings, the pebble pathways, the Alps in the background of it all and the cafes, bakeries and pizza.. Today was a day in a dream.


   Most of today was spent up the hill which holds the old city. An extraordinary hike, especially while carrying a 2 year old whom as usual has decided that walking herself is not quite an option. But with all of the scenery to take in of both buildings and nature, it is not until now that the pain of carrying 30 pounds of child on strike has begun to sink into my arms.


   There are stone walkways that wind and climb up the hill to the town. Even though today was quite foggy, the view of the cities below and the Alps was unlike any other. I can only imagine what one can see on a clear day.

   Now to the most important part of my day - the pizza. Lunch and Dinner.


   From a book on Bergamo, I believe I read that pizza is not a traditional fare here. But I would have a hard time believing that as they do a darn good pizza. My first piece was fantastic, the cheese was rich, the sausage was aromatic and overall the most amazing sausage I've ever had.


   For dinner, we had pizza at a restaurant with the longest pizza list in Bergamo. By the time they created my pizza, they must have run out of names and it was simply titled 308. Homemade pizza crust topped with tomatoes, sweet corn, bacon, asparagus and gorgonzola, I'm a little remorseful that I couldn't finish the last piece. Paired with a Weisse beer, it was the perfect ending to my first day in Italy.

1 comment: