January 28, 2013

Church of St. Michael Archangel

One of my favorite places to wander is Kosciuszko Park. The home to gorgeous landscaping, monuments and several other curiosities, one of my favorites is this church.

Kościół św. Michała Archanioła w Katowicach

   The church was built in 1510, although this is not it's original location. It was moved to the park in 1938 to celebrate historical Silesian architecture.


   Standing beside the church is a belltower built in 1853. In the original days of the church in 1305, which was used as a hide-out in the case of attack, the belltower also served purpose as a watch tower.

Free-Standing Bell Tower

 Surrounding the churchyard is a tall wooden fence with this door serving as one of the entries.


4 comments:

  1. Hello Tina.....Uncle Wayne finally figuring out how to comment on your blog. I think your picture of the church inspired me to figure it out because the Prayer to St Michael the Archangel is my favorite Catholic prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like I wll next have to look up this prayer! There's just something about the rugged sturdniness and the history of this church that just makes me adore it! And glad to have you as a commenter : )

      Delete
  2. It is hard for me to imagine something still standing made from wood in 1510! It's beautiful! I too need to check out this prayer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. At one point there was also a granary, however it burned in a fire in 1969. Luckily it did not spread to the church!

    ReplyDelete