September 19, 2012

Intro to Brussels

From the time that we had known we would be traveling to Brussels, I couldn't have been more excited. Beer and chocolate, life's almost perfect marriage, right? The drive here was so beautiful with many breath taking moments. The scenery matching that of the drive through LaCrosse Wisconsin as you cross the Mississippi River, one of my favorite pieces of nature's beauty. This city had nothing but potential.

Perhaps our expectations were set blindingly high, but it took no time at all to feel that this city of beer and chocolate is perhaps as en vogue as fondue (meant with no particular offense to fondue, it just needed to be said). After a couple of hours, our excitement for the city had dissipated into the urine soaked sidewalks of the over priced (scratch that, ridiculously priced), pick-pocketing city. Bless it's heart.

Now make no mistake, Lottie and I are making use of every moment. And although I am now aware that I would perhaps not again choose to spend time in Brussels, like dining on octopus, I'm mostly just glad that I can now cross it off of my list.

We may have discovered that the romanticism of Belgium lies everywhere but Brussels, there are still some treasures within the city. Perhaps Dan Seals said it best in everything that glitters is not gold. That still leaves room for some things that glitter to be gold. Such as Chocopolis, for example. The center of Brussels and pretty close to the center of my heart. And a sweet little bookstore.

I'm not in disdain of Brussels, if you're nearby stop in. An afternoon is plenty of time. It gets mildly creepy here at sun-down and the rivers of urine down the sidewalk really start to flow (apparently paying half of a euro for a filthy toilet at McDonalds is not an option that everyone would like to use). The good news is that there is extreme beauty less than an effortless small hop away. Belgium itself has a lot to offer. And I have a lot to share when I return to my real computer next week.

For now, just don't forget to find the gold in your world no matter where you may be. And world peace.

1 comment:

  1. I just wrapped a band-aid on my leg where a tree branch stabbed me while mowing. I will go back out and try to find gold :) Love your post!

    ReplyDelete