September 28, 2012

Food Nerd Friday: McDonald's

We made a promise to ourselves that we would avoid American food joints while on our stay abroad. When you can have the stuff any day, why partake when there's the opportunity to discover places you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

   When we hit the road to Belgium, a hungry kid decided that breakfast could not wait. With frequent McDonald's restaurants along the road, just this one time we said we would stop. And unexpectedly, the Polish restaurant is so different from the American version and both are so different from the German restaurants. It's kind of exciting to check them out.

Poland McDonald's
   I would like to introduce you to my breakfast. It's name is Kanapka Sniadaniowa Jajko i Bekon (egg breakfast sandwich with bacon). It was a delightful bakery style roll with 2 "poached" eggs, lots of mayo and then just a little more mayo, bacon, American cheese, a classic McD's hashbrown patty and yellow deli mustard. All for the price of 9,90 zloty (about $3). I thought I would never eat again. And if you ever find yourself in Poland with a hangover, this would cure it. I think this sandwich would cure anything.

   My other suprises during breakfast: Drinking milk in Europe is not typical. However, having a milkshake with your breakfast is. And the European McCafe's are indulgent. The Polish has the same Starbucks appearance as the German version but had a more extensive menu selection and a more robust coffee flavor than the German McCafe.

   After my breakfast, I had the Ginger Cookie Latte from the separate cafe counter. I was afraid that it would be crazy sweet as I typically prefer a plain latte. But ginger cookies are one of my favorite things. It was delightful. The McCafe's also have the same sinful dessert case as Starbucks (just a side note).  

Jajko i Bekon
    After such an exciting breakfast in Poland, on our return trip we decided to check out the German McDonald's. We had the McMorning Country which was composed of a sausage patty, American cheese slice, tomato slice, lettuce and a whole grain mustard/mayo spread layered on a bakery kaiser roll. Lottie had the breakfast happy meal with Sweet McGriddles served with honey and apple slices. Here our breakfast was quite a bit more expensive, in total 11 euro which is around $15.

German McDonald's New Breakfast Menu
   The menu option of three different rolls served with sides of butter, honey, jam and Nutella and accompanied with coffee would be perfect to nibble on with your morning reading of the paper. If you can read German...

Inside of Menu
   When Lottie was asked if she would like strawberry or chocolate milk with her meal, I cringed. As I am a fan of excess mayo, I'm not a fan of excess sugar and was just hoping for plain milk. And Lottie is a huge fan of chocolate but not of chocolate milk. So I ordered the strawberry milk. Low and behold, she was given plain milk and the flavoring is in the straw so she was able to have her beloved plain milk after all (see the straw packet in photo below). 
Some of the Happy Meal Insides
    Her toy selection was a Tom and Jerry ice lolly maker. And I wish we lived closer as there is a whole collection of Tom and Jerry items including a snack box, toast imprinter, orange juicer, rolling pin and sandwich creator that are just too cute.

   On our way out the door, we stopped at the McCafe bar for a latte. Unlike Poland, here they came with a little pouch of Pirouette cookies and the lovely barista even gave Lottie a pouch of cookies. What a way to feel special. I'm lovin' it.

   I would have never guessed that McDonald's would have provided us so much curiosity here, but it has. Such as the lady that ordered her 4 year old boy a Twix McFlurry and fries for breakfast in Germany. And that it's normal for parents to enjoy a cigarette or five while hanging out with their kids in the play place. Sometimes I think that in the American society we might just be a little hard on ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. I'm lovin it...too! I had no idea the menus wouldn't be the same. I don't know if I could handle all the cigarette smoke. Apparently lung cancer is not a big concern?

    ReplyDelete